Sunday, October 3, 2010

My First Encounter with Design..

It's hard to define my first encounter with design since design is all around us. A better way to answer this question is to describe my first realization that design is in my life. Food has always been an interesting area to me. There are constantly all these new dishes and flavors but how can this relate to design? Design may be the plates they are on or the restaurant that you are eating with. Does design always have to be something that we can use? NO! My first impression of design was the plating of the food on which the plate is the cook's canvas.


Simplicity is always the biggest deal with me. The most simple and plain designs often come from the best places because it is never cluttered with unnecessary images. Such a simple dessert is placed to capture the eye and evoke a sense of want; we WANT that dessert to be sitting in front of us on that table. This plating (and design) has served its purpose by making us want it; simple desserts just being placed with a purpose greatly enhances anything that can be made at home.


Did I want a dessert like this? HECK YES. Did I get this dessert like this when I saw it? HECK NO. A chocolate cake 2 inches across with some edible decoration is not worth the $22 price tag that came with it. But the design (that remember, came from a chef and most likely NOT a designer) was able to sell itself. In the end, a design must be to the point and be sold; this plating did just the trick. The same dessert in a plastic box is not nearly as appealing as this.


Design has appeal. Design has taste. Design has passion.

Being passionate about what you see is the easiest way to open your mind to the world of design and what it means to you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment